Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Answer to: Are Christian Scientists a cult?

Check out this interesting answer on Yedda


Yedda – People. Sharing. Knowledge.Is this a cult?


My father and step mother were Christian Scientists, the faith founded by Mary Baker Eddy.
I do not agree with their doctrine, and my dad died at a rather early age of cancer.
As far as being a ‘cult,’ I would not put them in that category, but as another answerer pointed out; many faiths could be considered a cult. Even the Lord’s church, started on Pentecost in 33 AD in Jerusalem, could be considered a cult, or the Catholic Church could be considered a cult.
When I think of a ‘cult,’ I think of a group of people --usually unknowingly-- following a false prophet or preacher, and to the degree of turning over every aspect of their life to such, and shutting themselves out to their own families and outside world, in the name of God. This makes no sense to me, because even Jesus Christ did not teach isolationism; but rather, to go out and teach all nations the things he had taught them, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

Topics: 

Answered by DonColeCartoons on December 16, 2008

View the entire discussion on YeddaYedda – People. Sharing. Knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment